ideas from our party blog
Beginner Mixed Media Techniques
Mixed media is probably the most forgiving of art forms and a great place to take your canvas paintings to the next level. With just a few beginner tips, you will be well on your way to creating unique pieces of art for your own home!
- Decou-Page is your best friend when it comes to mixed media. Use it to apply cut out phrases or shapes cut from scrapbook paper to add details and texture to your canvases.
- To speed things along, you can use a hair dryer or heat tool. This also helps drying your different paint layers.
- Don't be afraid to use textures and mediums designed for mixed media artists. You can add the look of real sand or even highlight dots or rain with Liquid Glass. We have a variety of products and educational videos to get you started!
- A simple way to add interest to a canvas background it to use a stencil. Use the whole stencil or just part of it floating off the edge to create interest.
- Layer a map or old book pages underneath your main design for a whole new look.
- Embellish your finished painting with glitter, jewels, buttons, and other found objects for a #D, custom look.
Most importantly, have fun and insert your own personality and style into your Social Artworking canvas to truly make it your own.